Bittersweet Needle and Thread

Bittersweet Needle and Thread

Sunday, July 9, 2017

SUMMER FUN
This year was the first year that our Cinnamon Magnolia tree bloomed.  It didn't have lots of blooms, but they were the size of a dinner plate, with snowy white petals against the lush green leaves.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GIRLFRIEND WEEKEND
This year the girls arrived at my house on Father's day weekend.  It turned out to be an unusually planned, ah, not so planned, get
together we've had so far.  Everyone arriving at different time, but we still had fun.  Lots of talking, laughing and all round good time.  I gave out Strawberry Jam to very one.

Beth gave us all a box full of herbs:  Chives, Garlic Chives, Greek Oregano, Sage, French Tarragon, Thyme and Skewer Rosemary.
  They have a home in my herb bed.

Teresa gave us each a Whirlygig.  Sherri chose the Cardinal, Beth a Hummingbird, and I got the lovely green and yellow Duck!  What fun to watch his 'wings' fly around, and fly he does!  We have lots of wind here!
Sherri was our designated driver, or at least my driver.  My car was in the shop for a day and she was the first to arrive, so guess what?  She had to be the chauffeuted.  Thank you Sherri!

One of our destinations was to take a walk through The Minature and Toy Museum in Kansas City.  Amazing!  The workmanship was incredible.  Beautiful doll houses, a fully functional harpsichord, smaller than the size of a cereal bowl, and ships in bottles.  In one display there was a working loom, making a small rug.  

Hummm, that got me to thinking and Tada - I made my own 'loom'.



I used the metal frame from my vintage Loop Craft kit.  Adding Kabob Skewers and twisty ties, I strung upholstery thread over the pegs.

I cut 1/4" strips of grey wool.

Weaving was trying and I felt I was all thumbs.  Occassionally I would pull too hard and break my wool strip.  I just sewed it back together and continued on.

  
 It measures 3" by 7".  This petite rug will have a home with Sherri in one of her doll houses.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

GRANDDAUGHTER PROJECT
My seven year old granddaughter was staying with us a couple of weekends ago, and I felt it was time to 'introduce' her to sewing.  So I cut a square out of cardboard and cut slits along all the sides.  I gave her some blue yard and showed her how to weave around the slits.  After a few minutes she says, 
"Grandma, I'm going to make a cat.  Can you cut me some ears?"
  "Of course."  So I cut out 2 small ears.
"Those are to small."  So I cut bigger ones.
"Now I need a round head."  So I cut a oval head.
"How are we going to stick them together?" I ask.
"Gorilla Glue!"  Oh, yes.  Grandpa has a bottle sitting in the window ledge.  
After picking some button eyes, I went upstairs (we're in the basement) and glued on the ears and eyes, then clamped them with clothes pins.  In the meantime, she cut out cardboard for the tail and arms, adding sparkly stickers from another project.
"Now I need to make legs."
"But you already have legs."  I'm not quite seeing her full concept.
"Those are arms, Grandma!"
"Ok, ok."  I cut some legs.
Then it was assembly time. 


Her Cat!

PROJECT #2

This weekend we worked on her next project, a gift for her father birthday.  I thought we could make him a small basket to hold his remotes.


We used plastic grid and blue yarn, (the same yarn in the above project.  I have a lot of it!).  Cutting the grid to the size we wanted and with lots of encouragement, we managed to get it done in one day!


She completed the 2 small sided and helped with the bottom.  I did the long sides, bottom and lashed it all together.  I know he will enjoy it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hope all our projects are this much fun!
Thanks for visiting,
Cinder



7 comments:

  1. Oh happy days, spent with your girlfriends! This is nice to have close friends to do things with and share gifts. And, what a lucky little granddaughter to have someone to help with her crafts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think she's going to a chip off the old block. She likes working with her hands making things.

      Delete
  2. We had a great time at the girlfriends get together! I'm glad my driving didn't scare you to death. I love this little wool rug and I have just the perfect home for it. Thank you so much. You are right, when you work with something small, the fingers seem so big. Your grand daughters kitty is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your driving was perfect! I love my time with all you girls and look forward to seeing you all again. The rug is on it's way to you now. Hope it fits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Magnolia tree blooms. When we lived in San Diego, CA there were lots of those kinds of trees and when they bloomed it was amazing to see. I love to hear about your girlfriend times together. They always sound like so much fun and you each share some special gifts. You made a great little rug for one of Sherri's mini homes; it will look perfect! You are so sweet to spend time with and create special crafts with your grand-daughter. The projects looked fun and I am sure it means so much to her too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so admire you "girls" for sticking together through the years. My neighbor and her old school chums, The Golden Girls they call themselves, get together once a month. What fun they have!

    Granddaughter time is the best, isn't it! I am thinking it is time to start teaching my girls some sewing skills ~ a small quilt maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. your girlfriends get together sounds like so much fun! The magnolia blossoms are so beautiful! Love your weaving and your little granddaughter's basket!

    ReplyDelete