Bittersweet Needle and Thread

Bittersweet Needle and Thread

Thursday, October 19, 2017

Crown Royal Quilt

OLD KING COLE'S CROWN


That's the name of the pattern I used to make this quilt from Crown Royal bags.


 I choose the pattern from a stack of quilt patterns my friend Sherri gave me that were her mother's. It was printed in the Kansas City Star newspaper in 1929. The minute I saw it I knew I wanted to use it for this quilt.

I first cut the bags all apart and found fabric that I thought would accent the gold embrodiery of the bags. The white fabric has a pale gold scroll print through it but I wasnt able to capture it in the picture.

 

Through trial and error, I managed to figure out each piece and made my first block.  Then I cut all the pieces out.  Soooo, when I pieced the rest of the blocks, I apparently didn't look at the original one I made, which is a bit different from the pattern.


   Oh well, who will notice.  Remember, there always needs to be a mistake in each quilt. (I think I have that part down pat!)


Looking through the fabric stores, I wasn't able to find a purple fabric to match the flannel of the bags.  I decided I would use the rest of the bags and piece them together to make the back. 


The picture doesn't show how many different shades of purple the bags are. I had so much time in making the back as I did the front!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


BABY TIME
I have a co-worker who is expecting her first child. Instead of making a quilt I decided to make a quilted changing pad and bibs from fabric I had on hand.


She is having a boy so I went with darker colors on the pad incase there was an 'accident' it wouldn't show as much.  I made a small bag that it folds up into so it's easy to pack and go!


The bibs are so adorable!




~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm always working on many project, even one of my own vintage quilts from 1978 . Hope everyone is enjoying the fall days.  I know I am!


Thanks for visiting,
Cinder


7 comments:

  1. Interesting..what were the bags used for before? Love those cute bibs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crown Royal is a whiskey and the bottle comes in the purple flannel bags. (I had to look up what kind of alcohol it was!) The bibs were so much fun to make.

      Delete
  2. Your Crown Royal quilt is stunning!!! And, the backing is just perfect. Even though it was lots of work it was well worth it, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. You would chuckle if you saw me making it. I starting with the center and made it up as I went, no plan at all! Sometimes not having a plan is fun!

      Delete
  3. I remember seeing the Royal Crown quilt in progress, very creative and pretty. I'm sure your brother loved what you have done. Cute changing pad and bibs, so nice to give something hand made. We are having a good fall, I don't think the colors will be very pretty here this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was thrilled! He wanted it to use when he sat in his recliner watching sports on the weekends. It is going to be extremely warm with flannel on both sides and batting in the middle. Our fall is somewhat colorful. More reds than oranges, my favorite time of year.

      Delete
  4. Thanks! I really liked the pattern and it was easy to do. In my day, changing pads were whatever you could grab! This was fun to make.

    ReplyDelete