Bittersweet Needle and Thread

Bittersweet Needle and Thread

Sunday, February 26, 2017

Out with the old and in the with the not so old!

UPDATED COUCH
Now that I finished reupholstering my rocking chair, I was ready to tackle my couch.  And tackle was the right word.  Math is not my strong suit, so for several days I measured and measured to make sure that I would buy enough fabric to cover everything.  Next hurtle was to find just the perfect color to match the rocking chair and update the whole room.  I love a challenge and perservere I did!  Tape measure - scissors - roll of fabric - here I go!  I set up the sewing machine right next to the couch and set to work.  

Before picture.  I had already removed the dust ruffle from the bottom. (I swear there were a hundred staples holding it on!)  The couch was given to me in ~1995 used.  It is a very good brand and has really held up from the wear and tear of 2 sons, 6 grandchildren and 22 years of continuous use.  (It makes an extra bed when we need one.  It's very long and when the back cushions are removed, it's almost the size of a twin bed.)  The seat cushions are worn through in some places and a few stains are shattered about.  I came to me as a nice light off white color and ended as a very dingy/yellowed white.

 

After picture.  At first I was afraid that I chose too dark of fabric but once I got use to it, I liked it.  It freshens up the room.  I added wooden carved buttons to the center back cushions and covered the small side pillows.  The other pillow is from the same fabric that was used on the rocking chair.


It's so nice to have 'new' things in the house.  Now I just have to keep my husband from wrestling on it with the grandkids!
I also purchased a frame for my Hawaii pictures.  You can see it on the wall above the flowers.  


I hung a piece of coral on leather and a pretty Hawaiian flower from the top of the frame.  The color of the ocean is almost the same color as the fabric!

~~~~~~~~~~~~

SURPRISE GIFT

Out of the blue I received a package in the mail.  Inside was this lovely hand crochet blanket from my sister-in-law.  

She did a lovely job on it and I love all the colors.  Those cold days we had last month definately required a cover as I watched TV in the evenings.   Ahh and so soft too.  Thanks Mel!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

QUILT

These quilt blocks were given to me from my friend Sherri.  They were her mothers, who was a wonderful quilter.  This is a lovely star block and I loved how she used up her scrap material.  No two block are the same! 




  
 She always drew sew lines and followed them when she sewed.  Look at her tiny stitches!    


It turned out really pretty and I hand tied it.  The blue fabric on the back came in the same box with the blocks so I used it. 

 
 
 
 
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~

COMPUTERS!

I feel that I have negelected my and my fellow bloggers websites due to my inability to adapt to changing 'updates' on my phone hotspot and computer.  Why am I subjected to these updates?  Windows 10 - are you kidding me?  What a crock of ___.  "Take it off," I shouted to my computer guru.  "Take it off!"  "It's here to stay," he says "but I'll turn some things off so it will run better/faster."  Holy Moly!   I am from the old school that 'if it isn't broken, don't fix it'.  But NO!  Consistantly there are updates, yikes.  What's an old person to do!  
(Sorry for my few moments on my soap box.  Just venting!)  

Thanks for visiting,
Cinder

8 comments:

  1. Recovering a couch is no easy task. You did an excellent job and I like your choice of fabrics too! The couch will give you many more years of enjoyment. How great to have the pictures from Hawaii for you to see and remember your time there. You have received a very nice crochet throw. So pretty and nice to cuddle up in on a cold night. You also did such a nice job on the quilt blocks; turning it into a nice useful quilt. It is very pretty. I admire all your works! I understand your feelings about the computer. It can get quite difficult sometimes. I hope you can get to a place where you are comfortable with it. They are here to make our lives easier and more enjoyable. I sometimes wonder if life would be easier without them. Then I think of blogger friends and remember how I would miss them so much. I wish you luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct, I would miss the easy access I have with technology and it is faster, but sometimes I just like to write a letter or send a card to my grandchildren so they will know what the US mail is. I do like my couch, it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

      Delete
  2. Cinders, you did a great job on your couch and the Hawaii photos look great in the room! I have never tackled a job that big. So nice of your sister-in-law to send a gift......I always have an afghan on the couch to snuggle in. My mom's quilt blocks look wonderful in the quilt. I know she would be so pleased to see her work completed and used. She never wasted anything! Her stitches are neat and tiny, I guess that's where I got my love for hand sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherri. I love working with other quilters projects. I feel a bond, a closeness that inspires me. I often reflect on what their thoughts were when they picked their fabrics. It is nice to have something soft and warm to cuddle up with when it's chilly outside.

      Delete
  3. "Tackle the couch..." Wow, did you ever! And, gorgeous it is! I am impressed! I also had quite a tussle with Windows 10. I don't think it liked me any better than I liked it, which was not at all.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't so hard as it looks. It is pretty square and just needed a few tucks and there and it was snug. The cushions were easy but it needed somthing to jazz it up so I came up with the buttons. It's not a tight and firm as the original upholstery but it will do. I can still stretch out and enjoy a movie. I don't think computers like anyone....

      Delete
  4. I agree with you about computers! I wish they could just leave well enough alone! Your couch is so pretty......and your room is so comfortable looking! How lovely the crocheted afghan is! It must have taken her some time to make! I love your little quilt! Your busy hands are certainly creative!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a beautiful blog. I love the couch redo. We lived in NE Missouri for almost 4 years (Hannibal). I was born and raised in FL, so the winters were quite an experience. I miss the beauty of the 4 dramatic seasons (we live in GA, now).

    ReplyDelete