Bittersweet Needle and Thread

Bittersweet Needle and Thread

Sunday, March 20, 2016

Rag Rug and Wolf Cross Stritch

RED AND BROWN RUG

 

I made this rug for my granddaughter's mother.  She just said that she wanted reds and browns, so this is what I found in my stash pile!  

It is hard for me to tell exactly what each rug will look like due to the mix of colors and the print design until I get a few inches into it.    And that's if I didn't run out of fabric, which I did on the red/white check, yikes!!!  So had to modify my pattern and end with more browns in the middle.



When she saw it on the frame, she thought the colors were just perfect.  Whew!  I was a bit worried as I thought maybe the browns were too light in color.  

Now I'm on to my next rug:  a wool one with thin strips of navy, brown, grey and plaid wool left over from making my braided rugs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CROSS STITCH

A few years back I was at Hobby Lobby and I spotted this cross stitch kit. My husband and I love to watch animal shows and we enjoy sitting on our porch watching what critters we can: birds, butterflies, calves...   So I bought the kit.


 Wolves in the moon light!  I was amazed how the birch trees came to life with different color threads.  Sometimes I had to mix two colors together.  And their fur...Wow.  It took me quite a while to finish.  I have a hard time working with black fabric or thread and this was a challenge.  I would shine the light behind me and I had a piece of white fabric on my lap.  When the light shone thru the small holes in the cross stitch fabric, I could make out where my needle would go.


 The eyes were really fun to do!  It looks like they are looking right at you - scary.  It measures 15" by 12" and I put it in a nice rustic frame.

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for visiting,
Cinder
 

6 comments:

  1. Cinders, I love the rug colors too. It's amazing that the fabric looks so different when finished. I noticed that when I made the little dollhouse braided rugs. Beautiful cross stitch...that would have been a nightmare on the eyes, but certainly worth it in the end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I choose fabric I like and have no idea what the end result will look like. I think that is why I like making them. It's always a surprise.

      Delete
  2. "Wolves in the Moonlight"...wonderful piece!!! Oh yes, the eyes...captivating, for sure! Hopefully, the eyes you see from your porch are not those of wolves! :~)
    I like that you can turn strips of cloth into something so useful (and beautiful) as a rug. I am really looking forward to seeing the wool one...going to be a beauty, I know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I do love creating with fabric and thread. I have another wolf cross stitch, but haven't started it yet. I'm having a hard time with black fabric now(eyes are getting old!), so when we finish adding on the sun room I will tackle the black cross stitch. We'll see if more light helps.

      Delete
  3. Yes they are getting easier to make. Thank you for reading my posts. I do enjoy sharing my projects and following along with my blogger friends projects. It fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your rug is just wonderful! It has a country kitchen charm......at least to me! Love your wolves cross stitch! Just all lovely!

    ReplyDelete