Bittersweet Needle and Thread

Bittersweet Needle and Thread

Monday, December 29, 2014

Scrappy Wool Rug and Iris Wall Hanging


SCRAPPY WOOL RUG

What an interesting rug this turned out to be.  I was working on the braided rug, when I looked down in the trash and saw many small triangles.   These were trimmed from the stripes that I sewed together.   I had a brilliant idea and pulled them all out of the trash.  (Well, maybe not brilliant.)



I overlapped them and sewed them on denim.  Then I trimmed the rug edges with left over black wool.




 Here it is!  My 3 foot by 1 1/2 foot Scrappy Wool Rug.  It looks like mountain peaks.  I have it by the back door and it matches the large braided rug, two rugs in one!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

IRIS WALL HANGING 

I was given this unfinished, beautiful hand stitched wall hanging from my friend Sherri.  It was made by her mother.  Her fine needle work amazed me and I was honored to work on it and give it a place in my home.


I tried to get a close up picture of the small, neat stitches that were done, but the picture doesn't do it justice.  I added batting and plain white fabric for the back and hand quilted around the flower and leaves to give them more dimension.  Then I finished the background by quilting a diamond background.

It is so pretty hanging on my white wall.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Happy New Year to one and all!
may you sort of, kind of, get close to, it's almost possible, meet one of your resolutions.   
And be sure to have fun too!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Thanks for visiting,
Cinder



4 comments:

  1. How nice!! Glad to know I'm not the only one making something from pieces of fabric so small that most people would throw them away; I'm doing this very thing now. That was so sweet of Sherri to share her mother's work with you and you did an excellent job finishing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The wool scraps made a great looking rug! And, I dare say, it is doing its work well at the back door. "Tiny stitches" surely turned out to be a beautiful piece. I am sure Sherri is delighted to have it hanging on your wall. "Sort of, kind of, get close to"...are you kidding? But I keep on trying. Happy New Year to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually I think that was a brilliant idea. Nice that you saved the small pieces and made them into a great rug.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the scrappy rug is awesome, very ingenious! The iris turned out so nicely Cinders. I knew you'd do something special with it and making it a wall panel was a perfect solution. (I had no clue what mother intended to do with it!) The hand quilting certainly sets it off. I know my mother would be so proud of your work & pleased you've made it a part of your home! Hope you had a very nice birthday.........one year closer to retirement!!!

    ReplyDelete