Bittersweet Needle and Thread

Bittersweet Needle and Thread

Sunday, February 15, 2015

Polyester Quilt and 1950-1960 Quilt Blocks

1970's QUILT

This full size polyester quilt was made by my sister-in-law Mel's grandmother, Trula Whitlock, from Arkansas.  Mel held on to it for many years and this past fall I took on the task of quilting it.  I found a large piece of teal double knit fabric at my favorite thrift store that matched.   

This quilt is multi-colored, notice the fluorescent orange and yellow in the center!   

Trula did an excellent job hand sewing the squares together.  ALL the points matched perfectly and have stayed secured over the years. 

Quilting was a task as polyester moves around.  I had to tape the back to my basement floor, pinned the top on and hold them down with gallon bottles of water.  I'd sit on the floor to tie it, using a running stitch all the way across, then cut and tied it.

To finish, I just folded the back over to make the binding.  I didn't tell Mel that I started quilting it, I just surprised her by mailing it to her and not telling her I'd finished.  


Mel recently sent me a box full of Trula's blocks and 2 quilt tops last week! 

The incomplete Sunbonnet Sue quilt was make in the 1960's for Mel.   There are lots of extra pieced Sunbonnet Sue's and Mel thinks Trula was going to make one for all the girl cousins.  I really like how frugal our past quilters were.  If there was not enough fabric, they just sewed some small pieces together to make a one large one.   Trula did this on several of the Sunbonnet Sue's.  The circle "dinner plate" blocks are interesting, I've haven't seen it before. 

Thanks Mel and Trula, I will do you both proud and do my best.


Snow, Snow, Again!

I really enjoyed the snow this year.  This particular day it was an absolutely delightful.  It clung to the trees and fences.  The snow in the picture has melted but now it is snowing again.   


This year my goal is to finish lots of the projects that I have started/accumulated over the years.  My problem, (oh I have lots of problems), is that someone is always giving me unfinished items to work on and I can't wait to put them on my shelf.  My sister is always amazed when she comes over and sees what I have added to my "pile".  

So, here is a breakdown:
1 Duckling quilt in the quilting frame
1 Fan quilt being hand tied
1 quilt no longer in the quilting frame (I'm not happy with it)
3 quilt tops done, ready to be put together 
9 sets of blocks in various stages of incompleteness (is that a word?)
5 different piles of fabric ready to be cut into blocks
and lots and lots of fabric just waiting....

1 wool braided rug fabric ready to be cut into strips

Table Runner
2 different piles of fabric picked out ready to be cut 

3 pillow canvases

Deer antlers
3 antlers to be made into baskets - someday

What will I seriously get completed?

I'll keep you posted,
Thanks for visiting

Monday, February 2, 2015

Needlepoint Pillows and Quilt


A co-worker gave me 3 needlepoint pillow/chair seat canvas a few weeks ago that her mother bought at an auction.  I thought the wool floral design was so beautiful, the colors so vibrant. 

 Of course I ran right out to Hobby Lobby and bought a skein of mohair yarn.  The color is called biscuit and was soooo soft. 


 And it came with instructions!   For only $6.50.

 I'm getting my sofa reupholstered soon and now will have 3 matching pillow to put on it.  Can you image something matching in my house instead of my "interesting" collection of hodgepodge items?  I'll keep you posted on how it all turns out.



At a family dinner last month, my mother-in-law, Norma, told me how to make a quilt-as-you-go quilt.  I couldn't wait to get started.  I had these yellow and orange fabrics pick out for a future project. 


 First I cut strips.  I chose 2 1/2"  wide strips, but they can be any size.   Then I spray starched the strips.  I was thinking that the strips may move around as I'm quilting and starching would make them stiffer and hold in place better.  I cut my batting and back fabric and pinned them together.  I decided to make a crib size.   I laid out the color order that I wanted the strips, then took the plunge....

The first and second strip were placed at the end on top of the batting facing each other and I used my walking foot and sewed all the away across.  Then I ironed the second strip so it laid flat and placed the 3rd strip on top, sewed it down and just repeated the process.

Above picture shows the top strip sewed down and the bottom picture shows the same strip ironed and ready for the next strip.

 This quilt was fun and quick, but I'm not the best machine quilter.  (I prefer hand quilting)  

My lines aren't exactly straight, it looks like I've been drinking while I quilt!   (Honest I don't drink!  Just ask Sherri, she'll vouch for me)  Now all I have to do is put the binding on it.  If I make another one, (and I probably will) I'm thinking about wider strips and having them vertical instead of horizontal.  

Thanks for visiting,